- Workforce Symposium 2018
- Post a Job in Connecting Colorado
- Recruit & Select
- Training & Professional Development
- Transitions, Layoffs & Separation
- Workforce Planning & Economic Vitality
- Business Workshops & Roundtables
- Business Resources
- Meet the Business Team
- Entrepreneurs and Startups
- Business Programs and Incentives
- Enterprise Zone Tax Credits
- Larimer County Workforce Development Board (WDB)
Contact A Consultant
LCWC Business Development
200 West Oak St.
Fort Collins, CO 80521
Sign up for Business Services news!
Welcome to the Larimer County Workforce Center!
Resources for Independent Contractors
Nearly one in three working Americans is an independent worker. That’s 42 million people!
Are you an Independent Contractor?
Otherwise known as a freelancer, solopreneur, self-employed, free agent or consultant.
The Larimer County Workforce Center recognizes the important role that Independent Contractors play in the local and national economy. There are numerous benefits to being independent (vs. an employee) and just like any profession or career, Independents must devote time and resources to developing their business activities. This page is dedicated to resources for the Independent. Drop us an email if you know of other resources that are useful for you.
There is always something to learn when you are self-employed – regardless of whether you are a newbie or a seasoned professional!
Other community resources for workshops include:
- Small Business Development Center (Fort Collins)
- Loveland Center for Business Development
- Loveland Coworking Community is a community of entrepreneurs, small business owners, startups, remote workers, freelancers, and creatives in Loveland. Workshops and events are offered for independents.
Professional Development & Networking
As an independent contractor, it is important to connect with others in your industry and learn about relevant business topics.
The Rocky Mountain Innosphere offers opportunities for networking and professional development that may be relevant to your sector or industry. See their Calendar of Events which includes events at other organizations and facilities.
Chamber of Commerce Events:
- Loveland Chamber of Commerce
- Fort Collins Chamber of Commerce
- Berthoud Chamber of Commerce
- Windsor Chamber of Commerce
Larimer County Workforce Center offers two opportunities for businesses to engage in learning and professional development.
- Roundtables: Network & discuss talent management resources & trends.
- Workshops: Learn tangible talent management tools & strategies.
Independent contractors must market themselves and actively seek out projects. These resources are match-matching sites – matching projects and independent contractors.
KDragonfly is a Fort Collins-based matchmaking site.
- If you are seeking work as an Independent, create a profile. Various levels of membership are available including a free option.
- The Contractor’s Toolkit will assist you with your business set up and provide tips and tools to help with your ongoing success. Included in the Tool Kit are business forms and templates to utilize while performing on a 1099 Contract basis. $49
Elance – You can find, hire, manage and collaborate with online freelancers. Free membership accounts are available.
Guru – offers the opportunity to market sought-after skills to a global audience. Free membership accounts are available.
Coworking in Northern Colorado – Work among other independent contractors!
- Digital Workshop Center - Digital Workshop Center has been a local center for education and professional development and is now a community center with coworking and private office space - a place for you to work, learn and grow your business! 1 day/week, 3 day/week, 5 day/week coworking options and private offices available.
- Cohere – Collaborative shared office space and coworking community for freelancers, entrepreneurs, and remote employees and workers in Fort Collins.
- The Hive – Collaborative share office space in the heart of downtown Fort Collins for creative and web professionals.
- Jefferson Study – Whether you are independent, a contractor, or a remote worker, Jefferson’s Study provides the affordable alternative to working at home.
- Armory – The Armory is a shared work space that provides an atmosphere where we can accomplish more together than we could on our own. We are a group of freelancers, entrepreneurs, remote workers, and creatives. Our goal is to cultivate a collaborative and creative environment for our members.
IRS Classification & Taxes
- Wondering if you are an employee or independent contractor? IRS’s definition
- What is Self Employment Tax?
- IRS’s Self Employment Center
- How much should I save for taxes?
- What is an EIN? Do I need one?
- Need a W9?
- Should I be prepared for an audit?
Health Insurance / Benefits / Member Organizations
Freelancers Union serves the needs of the growing independent worker sector. They bring freelancers together to build smarter solutions to healthcare, retirement, wage security, and other broken systems. The Union offers insurance and benefits, community connections, political action, discounts and resources tailored for the independent worker.
Are You Hiring Independent Contractors?
Do you know of another resource for Independents? Drop us an email.
References in this web site to any specific commercial products, process, service, manufacturer, or company does not constitute its endorsement or recommendation by LCWC. LCWC is not responsible for the contents of any “off-site” web page referenced from this server.