Shifting Gears: From Job Searching to Career Planning
View Workshop Dates
You understand the labor market (Northern Colorado Now) and your skills (Career Action Planning). You know why you should network and how to do it (JumpStart Your Job Search & Social Media: Introduction or Lab). You’ve improved your Resume and Cover Letter writing. And you can nail any Interview. BUT WHAT NOW?!?!? It’s time to create a personalized plan to follow throughout your career. This is the class that will get your career on a long term track.
**To gain the maximum benefit from this class, students should complete all of the classes mentioned above, before taking this class.
Social Media: An Introduction
View Workshop Dates
Workshop Package (PPT) Download
Should you be tweeting and be LinkedIn? This two-hour class will introduce participants to current social media tools and why they are important to job seekers.
You should attend this workshop if:
- You aren’t exactly sure what the term “social media” means.
- You have heard others talk about Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn but it sounds like a foreign language!
- You don’t intend to set up a Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn account but recognize that you should increase your knowledge about these tools to stay up with emerging job search strategies / techniques.
In Social Media: An Introduction, participants will learn the WHAT’s of social media not the HOW’s. This class will introduce participants to *what* social media is.
The following topics are covered in Social Media: An Introduction
- What is social media?
- Why is social media important for job seekers?
- Overview of LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and blogging.
- Privacy and important considerations for your job search when using social media.
NOTE: This workshop has a fee to attend. You will be asked to pay this fee during the online registration process and is payable by credit/debit card only.
We know that networking is one of the most important components of job searching and that social media is a great tool for expanding your network. But figuring out how to effectively use them can be overwhelming.
In this full day, hands-on class you will learn how to use LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and even a Blog to enhance your career and boost your job search.
Whether you’re looking for your first job, exploring a career change, or just setting yourself up for future success, social media sites have proven themselves as important platforms for facilitating connections, demonstrating passions and interests, and ultimately landing you the job you actually want.
In this class we will walk step-by-step through LinkedIn,Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and WordPress and…
- Show you how to set up and optimize each site
- Show you how to connect with the strategic influencers who can connect you to job or career development possibilities
- Make sure your platform and privacy settings are accurate in order to protect you as a job seeker
- Show you what NOT to do
- Provide you with tips and strategies to make sure you have the best experience possible with each platform
By the end of the class you will have functional profiles and the beginnings of a workable network (that you can build upon), as well as strategies that you can implement immediately to succeed in using social media. You will also receive a comprehensive workbook.
This class takes place in the computer lab and it is expected that you will have intermediate keyboarding, computer and internet navigation skills.
(This class includes a one hour lunch break on your own. Feel free to bring your own lunch.)
About the Instructor:
Viveka Von Rosen of Linked Into Business in Fort Collins offers individuals, companies and groups public and private LinkedIn workshops and webinairs, as well as other social media presentations and trainings. She is a recognized LinkedIn expert and social media strategist, and can help organizations be effective with social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter. Viveka has been teaching at LCWC for two years. Her classes receive great reviews and customers thoroughly enjoy their time with her.
If you are new to social media, please register for Social Media: An Introduction
How to Apply for a Federal Job View Workshop Dates
- Download Workshop Presentation Updated 5/2012
- Videos on this topic are also available: To view: Click on title link
- 10 Steps to a Federal Job - A series of videos by The Resume Place on their YouTube channel. Each video is just a few minutes long. Start with ”Introduction” and then work through each of the ten steps.
- Finding and Applying for Federal Jobs - Presented by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. This video is 30-minutes long and is presented by a federal employee.
The federal government employs nearly two million civilian workers. Within the next three years, federal agencies expect to hire more than 270,000 new workers to fill mission-critical positions at various places across the nation. However, the process for applying to a federal job can be confusing and frustrating. Learn from our experienced workshop leaders how to navigate the federal job application process and how to apply for federal jobs.
- How to find federal job vacancies online.
- Preparing to apply online.
- How to read a vacancy announcement.
- Understanding and writing the online federal resume.
- Understanding core competencies and KSAs.
- Understanding veterans’ preferences.
Because the federal job application process is entirely online, you will best apply what you learn from this workshop if are proficient with the internet and Microsoft Word.
NOTE: This workshop will be most valuable if you attend the Resume and Cover Letter workshop first.